The Library is located on the corner of E and Sycamore Streets in downtown Elizabethton at 201 North Sycamore Street. We are in the former Post Office Building, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Buildings.
Click here for an online navigable map from Yahoo! Maps
Library Collection: Books for all ages, large print books, reference materials, videocassettes and DVDs, audiobooks, magazines, newspapers, local history materials, genealogy materials, study guides.
Courier and Interlibrary Loan: If our library does not own a book that you would like to read, we will attempt to borrow it for you from another library. There is no charge for borrowing books from another library in the Northeast Tennessee Library Network (those listed in our shared online catalog), but there is a charge for borrowing books from a library outside of this network. New books, reference books, books in high demand, audios, and videos are not available for either courier or interlibrary loan.
Children's Services: Storytime for preschoolers, Story Club for elementary-age children, Summer Reading Program.
Local History and Genealogy: History and genealogy materials, volunteers one evening a month to assist with local history and genealogical research.
Other Library Services: Public internet access, copy machine, microfilm reader/printer.
Purpose and Funding
The Elizabethton/Carter County Public Library actively collects and maintains a wide variety of popular materials of current interest to encourage reading and provide information and recreation for people of all ages. Special emphasis is placed on making reading an enjoyable activity for young children, motivating them to develop intellectual curiosity and a lifelong interest in learning. The library collection contains a broad base of general knowledge to provide the community with needed information and assist people in reaching their life goals, supporting and encouraging individual learners in their pursuit of independent interests.
The Library is a department of the City of Elizabethton and serves all of Carter County. Funding comes primarily from the City of Elizabethton, with a contribution from Carter County. Friends of the Library, memorial gifts and other donations provide funding for special projects and other needs that aren't included in the library's operating budget.
The Elizabethton Public Library was established in 1929 by the Business & Professional Women's Club and was housed in several temporary locations until 1949, when the B&PW Club built a new library building and deeded it to the City of Elizabethton for operation. For the next forty-two years the library occupied the building at 212 North Sycamore Street while the collection grew from 2,500 to over 30,000 books. In 1992, the library converted the former Post Office Building in downtown Elizabethton and moved into our present location at 201 North Sycamore Street.
Return to top of page